Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Tin-Can Customs Command confident of meeting revenue target

The Tin-Can Island Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has given assurances of its preparations to meet its revenue generation target for the year.

Controller in charge of the Command, Comptroller Dera Nnadi, mni, said that the Command has covered about 52 per cent of its N801billion target, leaving it with 48 per cent even as the year is fast drawing to a close in about three months.

He said: “Coming at a time the floating exchange rate is affecting importers and exporters, this is a big but achievable task.”

Nnadi who assumed office on Thursday as the 20th Controller of the Command since the port took off operations in 1977, said “it is always a pleasure to continue the reforms of the maritime industry from both my personal perspective and that of the Nigeria Customs Service.”

He, however, called for collaboration among all stakeholders to provide solutions to individual and collective needs.

He added that: “The dynamism of the industry requires that we join forces as stakeholders to provide solutions to our individual and collective needs. The next phase of this assignment starts this morning as we all commit to lead from the front.

“For us as a Command, it is a daunting but surmountable task. As you are all aware, Nigeria Customs Service has three key performance indicators, which are revenue collection, anti-smuggling, and service delivery, often referred to as facilitation of trade. These three serve as yardstick for measuring her performance.

“These indicators will always remain relevant in our economic discourse until we attain full development as a nation. It is more so for Tin-can Command, especially now.”

Nnadi also sounded a note of warning to economic saboteurs who distort and take advantage of the nation’s trade policy, saying that except they retrace their steps, the full weight of the law will come against them.

According to him, “These also include those that import illicit goods that contribute to the insecurity in the country.

“I want to commend the outgoing Controller and officers of the Command for the recent seizure of two containers of tramadol. We will sustain the fight against importation of illicit and unapproved drugs.”

Noting that just two days ago the Customs Administrations of Nigeria and Benin signed an agreement to develop frameworks for clearing of Nigeria bound goods in Benin Ports and vice versa, he said that was a “call for us to improve our business process and increase our efficiency in service delivery in order to be competitive with other ports in the sub-region.”

He therefore requested the “cooperation of shipping companies, terminal operators and Other Government Agencies in our efforts towards ensuring the actualization of the rebranding of the Command.”

Speaking further, he said: “In line with this, I will essentially request that we respect our various mandates. Those concerned with regulatory functions should stay away from interference in revenue related transactions except it is in their mandate to do so. Hopefully, this will improve service delivery in the Tin-Can Port.”

The Controller promised to operate an open door policy, as has been the case in the Command.

“I will open my doors for seamless trade, but I will also close the door against unwholsome activities that will compromise the Service mandates.

“Let me at this juncture state that in my resolve to achieve the goals of the Command, we will not dwell on the usual blame of others for the various challenges bedevilling the maritime industry. No one person is responsible for the rot, but everyone should be ready to offer a solution.”



Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.