The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), on Sunday confirmed that casualty figure from the Kaduna train attack on Monday 28th March, 2022, remained eight, while 186 persons have been confirmed safe and 22 others still missing.
The NRC in its update said that some phone numbers on the manifest when called were either switched off or not reachable.
It also gave update on the level of maintenance going on at the portion of the track where the explosion happened.
Full update given on Sunday by the NRC:
In our quest to keep the general public informed with on-going development regarding the clearing of the incident site (recovery of the rolling stock, repairs of the track) and status of passengers who were on-board the AK 9 train of Monday 28th March 2022, the Corporation hereby provide the following updates as at end of work today 3rd April, 2022:
- Two (2No.) Coaches (SP 00016 and SP 00017) earlier re-railed were safely moved to Rigasa Station. This brings the total number of recovered Coaches and safely moved to NRC Stations to 7No.
- Intensive work continues on track repairs. More concrete Sleepers were moved to site while some section of twisted tracks has been straightened.
- Of the 362 validated passengers on board the attacked AK9 train service on 28th April 2022,
- 186 persons on the manifest are confirmed to be safe and at their various homes (Additional 14 persons confirmed safe today).
- 51 phone numbers on the manifest are either switched off or not reachable since Tuesday morning.
- 35 phone numbers on the manifest are ringing but no response from the other end.
- 60 phone numbers on the manifest when called responds non-existent.
- 22 persons are reported missing by their relatives.
- 8 persons confirmed dead.
We remain grateful to the Security Agencies for all the support. We are very appreciative of the Squadron Commander MOPOL 1 Kaduna visit to the accident site today. The NRC will continue to update the general public of developments to prevent misleading information and falsehood.