A total of 191 persons among passengers on the ill-fated AK9 train attacked in Kaduna recently have been confirmed safe by the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC).
This is contained in the latest report on the incident, by the NRC, which also disclosed that the casualties remained eight persons and 22 others still missing.
Full Text of the statement signed on Monday by the Managing Director of the NRC, Mr. Fidet Okhiria:
The latest report on the incident of the ill-fated AK9 train of Monday 28th March 2022 is as follow:
- One (1No.) Coaches (SP 00020) was re-railed and safely moved to Rigasa Station. This brings the total number of recovered Coaches and safely moved to NRC Stations to 8No.
- Intensive track repair works continued on site to enable the recovery of the remaining Coaches and Locomotives.
- Status of 362 validated passengers on board:
- 191 persons on the manifest are now confirmed safe and at their various homes (Additional 5 persons confirmed safe today).
- 46 phone numbers on the manifest are still either switched off or not reachable since Tuesday morning.
- 33 phone numbers on the manifest are ringing but still no response from the other end.
- 62 phone numbers on the manifest when called response non-existent.
- 22 persons are reported missing by their relatives.
- 8 persons confirmed dead.
- There were a total of 20No. Train Crew on board:
- NRC Staff, (5No. okay and 2No missing)
- Janitors (6No. okay, 3No. missing and 1No. dead)
- On Board Caterers (1No. Okay and 2No. missing)
- NRC remains committed to the safety of her Passengers and Staff on board the ill-fated Ak9 train service. The Corporation will continue to collaborate with security agencies to ensure all persons being held are rescued unhurt and reunited with their families.
- Our heart goes out to those who lost loved ones and those injured in the attack and now recuperating from the hospital.
- The Corporation remains appreciative of all the support and cooperation received so far from the security agencies at this challenging times.
- The NRC will continue to update the general public of developments to prevent misleading information and falsehood.
Thank you and God bless Nigeria.
ENGR. F.E.OKHIRIA FNSE, FCILT