NRC confirms attack on Abuja-Kaduna train
The Managing Director, Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC), Mr Fidet Okhiria, has confirmed attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train by suspected bandits on Monday night.
Okhiria, however, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that “information concerning the attack was still sketchy, and no concrete information could be given at the moment.
”We have confirmed the attack, but we cannot give you much information right now.
”From the reports we have got, most of the passengers have gone into hiding and the officials on board are yet to give us report of the situation.
”There are reports of gunshots and the train derailed due to the attack,” Okhiria said.
NAN gathered that the incident happened between Katari and Rijana train stations, en route Kaduna from Abuja.
Meanwhile, Kaduna State Government said the military had rescued the Kaduna-bound train passengers trapped by terrorists Monday night.
In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr Samuel Aruwan, the government said information about the rescue mission was conveyed to it by security operatives.
Aruwan said the government received multiple reports of an attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train service around Kateri-Rijana area.
He said that upon receipt of the report, relevant agencies were contacted and personnel were deployed to the area to secure the passengers on board.
According to him, efforts are ongoing to move injured passengers to hospitals for urgent medical attention.
The Commissioner said Gov. Nasir El-Rufa’i, who had been in constant touch with security forces, commended them for their prompt response.